This is the IPFS Cluster Roadmap for the next months. Note that this is a declaration of our best intentions but it is very difficult to make compromises. We will keep this page updated (history here).
Short term (Q2 2019)
- Collaborative pinsets prototype: an alternative consensus layer (to replace Raft) (ongoing)
- Collaborations with key partners test Cluster and describe user journeys (ongoing)
- Research and testing on adding and moving data with cluster (ongoing)
- Permissioned API endpoints and possibility to use the public bootstrappers.
- DAG Sharding support (ongoing)
Mid term (6-8 months horizon)
- Cluster federation: multiple clusters can interact with each others.
- Stable collaborations with different players interested in using ipfs-cluster/ipfs to store large datasets.
- Good sharding support for at least ~1TB datasets (package repositories).
- We have metrics to have an idea of how big a cluster can grow (peers, pinset, repository size), where degradation start, critical paths in the application performance.
- Collaborative archival efforts (between strangers)
- Kubernetes-IPFS tests running automatically
- Really strong testing and metric collection pipelines
Long term (~1 year+)
- IPFS Cluster and IPFS are used to ingest and store very large volumes of data in production
- Additional chunking/sharding/encoding strategies. FEC support.
- Exploring support for a rich set of allocation strategies e.g. by geographic location or as a function of access patterns